Aiming for Better
Something interesting about communication technology that I found in the news was that AOL is redesigning the early version of AIM from 1997. I found this news item to be intriguing because AOL Instant Messaging was popular when I was growing up. It was the first technology that I used to chat with friends and create “away messages” that are similar to todays’ “tweets”. According to the news item, “The latest iteration of AIM expands tweets and lets users play movies and upload files into chats using drag and drop”(line 2, http://journals.ohiolink.edu.proxy.lib.ohio-state.edu/ejc/pdf.cgi/Weber Ren.pdf issn=10836101&issue=v14i0004&article=1016_wdwrkagaehca). I think AIM’s new direction to expand tweets and encourage microblogging is a good idea in order to compete with Twitter and Facebook. The new AIM also allows users to upload photos and videos even when instant messaging. This is also significant because photos and videos are a big part of what Facebook is and what makes Facebook so popular. This seems to be a good direction for AOL because of the digital world we live in. “AIM is available in versions for the Web, Windows PCs and Macs, as well as Android and iOS mobile devices”(line 14, http://journals.ohiolink.edu.proxy.lib.ohio-state.edu/ejc/pdf.cgi/Weber Ren.pdf?issn=10836101&issue=v14i0004&article=1016_wdwrkagaehca). This is also important because of the use of Facebook and Twitter on 3G cell phones today. This is another way that AOL can compete with the other mobile microblogging corporations. It will be interesting to see if the new version of AIM will catch on like Facebook and Twitter did. The new version of AIM will go through the 5 stages of adoption just like any other evolving technology. First, people will have to hear about it. Most likely, it will be advertised in the media and then people will be talking about it. Before doing this blog, I had no idea that AOL was coming out with a new version of instant messaging. Second, we will have to see if people like the new features of AIM like expanding tweets and allowing for the uploading of photos and videos. After that we will see if the population accepts or rejects the new version of AIM. If accepted, will people use it? This could be similar to Google+, in that some people joined but not many used it. According to the Critical Mass Theory, the value of technology goes up with the number of users. So if only a few people use the new version, then the value will not be great for each user. Lastly, will it live up to everybody’s expectations? It might take some time for AIM to catch on but it could be the next big thing next to Facebook and Twitter.
http://journals.ohiolink.edu.proxy.lib.ohio-state.edu/ejc/pdf.cgi/Weber_Ren.pdf?issn=10836101&issue=v14i0004&article=1016_wdwrkagaehca
.
I found this blog to be interesting. The thought of the obsolete AOL instant messenger coming back to popularity really brings me back in time. It seems like just yesterday I was checking my buddy list and leaving “away messages” for all of my friends to read. I liked your comparison of away messages to tweets, too. While this is a good attempt by AOL to throw their hat back into the social networking ring, I just have a hard time believing that it will be able to catch on enough to compete with Facebook and Twitter. Those sites have such dominance in the social media world that it will take a real game changer to knock them off of the throne.
ReplyDelete