Sunday, October 16, 2011
Technology Diary
I didn’t realize how much technology I used until I actually had to journal every form of it for a whole day. I even started getting annoyed having to take out my notebook and tally all the texts I sent and received throughout the day. This is where I spent most of my time, as far as my technology use goes. I received approximately sixty-five texts and sent sixty-six for a whopping one hundred and twenty five texts all day. I used the alarm clock application on my phone twice, once in the morning in order to wake up and again at night to set it for the following morning. I also used sixty-sixty minutes of Internet time throughout the day, which included Facebook and other applications. I made only one phone call for about a minute, but listened to three voice messages. Lastly, I listened to my iPod for approximately fifteen minutes. I believe I used my technologies efficiently partly because I only used the Internet in certain intervals, not a little at a time many times throughout the day. I only got on Facebook after classes and before and after work. I think my time was pretty well spent except maybe for my text messaging. Personally, I think it’s kind of embarrassing sending one hundred and sixty five texts in a day; Although, I think many other people are a lot worse than me. Setting a limit for texts throughout the day would be a way to cut down on my technology use. A theory that explains my use is that it is so easy for me to access Facebook and Internet via my smartphone. I believe the convergence of media causes us(humans) to become more reliant on technology. It becomes a habit to constantly check our phones throughout the day. I believe that this is unhealthy and we should have techniques to restrict our technology use. This link shows how technology can take over our lives and cause us to rely on technology every day. "Email, PDAs, iPhones, laptops, and cell phones dominate our modern world. Our uber-connected lives have made us virtually available at any time, at any place -- the movies, the golf course, traffic lights, you name it(Soong, J. (2008). When Technology Addiction Takes Over Your Life. Web MD. Retrieved October 16, 2011 from http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/when-technology-addiction-takes-over-your-life?page=3)." This website shows how technology addiction affects some people and also gives some tips to using less technology and being less dependent on it.
or
?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Buckeye-gibb I couldn’t agree more about just now realizing how much time I spend using my phone or the Internet. I’m am currently working on my tech diary post, and I never really noticed how much I actually use my phone or computer. As I’ve been working on this comment I have received six texts and sent eight, and have been checking my Facebook religiously. I know this mass influx of messages in a short amount of time is due to the recapping of last night, but it has really made me realize how much time we spend trying to send or read a text. It is kind of ridiculous in a sense but oh well. That’s how our generation lives. We really are “Digital Natives.”
ReplyDelete